About Global Read Aloud

History of the Global Read Aloud – We asked Pernille Ripp about the history of Global Read Aloud. You can see below how it began and the amazing worldwide phenomenon it has become in only a few short years.

How did the Global Read Aloud come about?

“The Global Read Aloud was born due to Neil Gaiman and lazy summer night’s ride in the car listening to NPR. Being a massive Neil Gaiman fan, I immediately turned up the dial when his name was mentioned and was enthralled with the report of the One Book – One Twitter project happening that summer. In a moment of admiration, I turned to my husband, Brandon, and asked him why someone had not done that with kids and his reply was; “Why don’t you?”

So I did. A few days later a blog post was written inviting people to join some sort of a read aloud using some sort of tools to connect kids through a book. I had no plan, I had few answers, but I had an idea and sometimes that is all it takes. That year, in September 2010, the very first Global Read Aloud book The Little Prince was read aloud to about 150 kids through 60 different facilitators and it was amazing. Since then the project has grown organically through the passion people that participate. In 2011 it was 6,000 kids, 2012 brought 30,000 kids, 2013 brought 144,000 kids, and 2014 brought more than 308,000 kids into the project in 60 different countries.

The Global Read continues to grow because of the incredible people that participate and the amazing books that authors create. It continues to be a free project, where the only thing you need is the book and some way to connect with others. Who knows where this project will go, but one thing is for sure; we are connecting the world through a book every single year.” Pernille Ripp

Find out more at the main site – Global Read Aloud project.

Our Collaboration

The QLD Tech Brekkie team have created Global Readers to house our groups international collaboration for the 2015 Global Read Aloud. This joint initiative will see classes from around the globe come together to explore The Year of Billy Miller or Fish in a Tree over six weeks starting October 5.

Why an Edublog?

We have created this Edublog as the central point for all classes to meet, contribute and comment on each others work. The blog will grow throughout the collaboration and will show the value of classes uniting in one project.

Our Tasks

For our collaboration, classes will complete a small selection of activities using a range of tech tools.  Shelly Terrell, Craig Kemp, Lend Me Your Literacy, Alan Peat, Jen Jones, Jen McVeity, Sue Wyatt, and Zeina Chalich are providing the tasks to make it an even more amazing experience! We will learn from each other and establish international partnerships that will continue long after GRA.