If the author chose the name of this chapter (29) to be the title of the book, it had to be an important chapter! We were alert for Reading Signposts from the start! Here are some that we spotted:
- Again and Again: Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Ally running out of rooms
- Memory Moment: remembers swinging with grandpa
- Tough Questions: “Why can’t I read?”
- Kiesha’s Words of the Wiser: “Hunched over and silent is no way to meet the world.”
- Albert Einstein’s Words of the Wiser: “Everyone is smart in different ways. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life thinking that it’s stupid.”
Character Hot Seat gave us a chance to ask these characters the hard questions we have been wondering about. After making a Character Wheel, texting in character for a couple of weeks, and much discussion as we read, we were ready to become Ally or Shay or Albert…or a Halloween character, perhaps!